Friday, October 12, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 2



The adventures have started! This past week a friend and I drove east on the I-1o freeway and ventured out to the city of Rosemead, which is located 25 miles away from Westwood and about a 40 minute drive without traffic.

The first thing I noticed was the physical appearance of the place, and how it greatly differed from Westwood. The layout of the city consisted of boulevards with blocks of “mini-plazas” where stores were located and most of them were usually franchised stores. The suburban aspect of Rosemead was most noticeable when driving through the residential areas where many of the houses were each identical to the next. The lack of architectural variation was a detail that stood out to me, compared to Lima, Peru where I am from and even Westwood, the houses and stores did not vary in styles, colors, sizes, etc.  This distance between places was much more extensive as well, without a car going from one place to another was an inconvenience. As a result, there were not as many pedestrians, especially when compared to Westwood where many people walk to the stores and restaurants. In that respect, there was more of a car activity in this place and for the most part they were usually the average sedan or SUV.
Another striking aspect of Rosemead and its surrounding cities is the immediate acknowledgement of a large Asian and Hispanic community when driving through the boulevard, as many of the store signs are written either in Chinese, Vietnamese or Spanish. This observation was also reinforced when we went to the Montebello mall in the neighboring city, where many of the languages spoken were Spanish, Vietnamese or some variation of Chinese. By using Simply Map afterward, it confirmed my observation of the highly concentrated Asian and/or Hispanic community in Rosemead and it surrounding cities such as San Gabriel, Montebello, Alhambra, Arcadia, El Monte, and others.

Since my friend’s family is Chinese I had a greater exposure to the Asian culture of Rosemead. It was interesting to see that there was such a community outside of Los Angeles Chinatown, where I would think would be the center for the Asian community. However, it seems that if people wanted to have authentic Chinese food and a wide variety, these are the cities to go to. Even the supermarkets in these areas are tailored to the community, with products that were imported from Asia that would not be found at Ralphs or Vons in West LA. These cities in Los Angeles have been able to create a large community with people that share the same culture. And these places sort of become the replica of the community’s hometown in the United States. When speaking to my friends’ mother, she stated that although she left China a few years back, coming to the U.S. and living in this community did not feel too different at all. If she did not venture out of the 10 mile radius, it would not even feel that she was in a different country. Despite not speaking English, she has been able to easily adapt to life in the United States because there did not seem to have a need to learn English, when everyone in her surrounding spoke Chinese.  


This testimonial is not specific to Rosemead or Los Angeles; similar communities were generated throughout cities in the United States. In one of this week’s class reading, Ernest Burgess’s article “The Growth of the City,” he uses Chicago as an example and in that map it can be observed as well how the different communities are labeled. Burgess also mentions the idea of “centralized decentralization,” in which the focus of the Chicagoan life was no longer centered on downtown, but slowly moving towards the suburbia. He states that with all city expansions, it is the natural tendency for local communities to become a larger economic unit and these local communities will coalesce into sub-business areas. From my point of view, Los Angeles is already further along that process where there are already larger economic units formed and business zones, and Rosemead in this case, is one of these sub-business areas. The difference is that Los Angeles did not originally begin like Chicago with a concentric city lay-out. It began with different communities spread out in the greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Area. This also underscores Kling’s, Olin’s and Poster’s concept of multicentered metropolitan region from the article, “The Emergence of Post Suburbia,” where they state that through time instead of long commutes these areas will start to have centers of their own. As observed on my trip, this is the occurrence in the city of Rosemead and their neighboring cities where their business activity was no longer as dependent on the dominant business center in downtown Los Angeles, but they focused on their own city’s center. The focus could be in Rosemead itself, Monterey Park, Alhambra, Arcadia, San Gabriel, and the other neighboring places. This creates the multicentered metropolitan phenomenon in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area.



8 comments:

  1. This was an enlightening post, Christina, thanks for sharing your experience. I have not visited Rosemead so I was curious to learn a bit about the area.

    Firstly, I’m let down by the lack of difference in Rosemead’s architecture, which you mentioned. I think that diversity of architecture and the influence of varied cultures on architecture are some of the most important aspects that define a neighborhood – without them, areas tend to feel, at best, drab. A lot of residential Los Angeles seems a bit bare on visuals, often employing a Spanish style in earthquake-safe two-story homes. As you said, the capital of Peru, a nation with a much lesser budget for housing, has more diverse architecture. I’m not a native either, by the way: I moved to L.A. eight years ago from a soundly different world (Moscow, Russia), so I tend to compare much of what I see to the architectural ideas and projects generated in post-Soviet Moscow.

    Secondly, I think that Westwood is somewhat of an anomaly as a neighborhood, so the vehicle-oriented Rosemead geography, which you touched on, is replicated across a lot of L.A. regions. Westwood’s village is partly a classic college town and partly a pedestrian-oriented tourist hub - and the tall, dense swath of buildings on Wilshire is matched for its layout by few other neighborhoods. A much larger part of the city is made up of wide boulevards and is designed for vehicle travel; even on the Westside – in Mar Vista and alongside streets like Venice Blvd - that type of city planning is plainly visible.

    Thirdly, it’s interesting to see the effect of large Asian and Hispanic communities affecting the same neighborhood. Those influences on Rosemead seem to be a natural part of it, however, rather than existing because it is a dedicated region for Chinese, Vietnamese and Spanish-speaking people. That natural existence of cultures seems to be a step ahead of distinct micro-communities towards a true American “melting pot”, which this country is often defined as. It is understandable why micro-communities (such as Little Ethiopia and Koreatown) have been founded, but in the view of our rapidly fraternizing world, they seem like intermediaries to the final destination: a worldwide organic solidarity. The moral (off of Durkheim’s concept) of non-mainstream, ethnic cultures – their languages, foods, values – would still exist within L.A. and be permeated into its structure as long as accommodation is practiced more than assimilation. Although there is, as you state, a great Chinese influence in Rosemead, I’m interested to know if the neighborhood has more of an organic solidarity when compared to micro-communities, which seem to be held together due to common values of mechanical solidarity.

    Lastly, I’m curious to know if you found Rosemead’s independence from downtown to be a positive aspect. It is closer to downtown than other major business hubs – Long Beach, Century City – so it may be influenced by downtown a bit. As a purportedly independent area, Rosemead probably doesn’t have the potential to incorporate autonomous division of labor; it won’t be able to properly develop much on its own. Further, I think that Burgess’s concentric zone model does work here, because downtown was the first major neighborhood of Los Angeles to be founded, consequently spreading its influence outward. The concentric zone of deterioration theory as applied to L.A. certainly exists, when you take a look at adjacent poor and developing areas such as South Park and Skid Row. Aside from that, Rosemead looks to be a great neighborhood to test the theories from “The Emergence of Post Suburbia” on.

    This is all that I wanted to say, and thank you for reading!

    Konstantin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Konstantin,

    I wanted to thank you for commenting on my blog, and I truly appreciate your insight and ideas. I will provide you with a more proper response over the weekend as I feel you have touched upon many things to consider.

    Thank you,

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great read Christina. I have also visited Rosemead on multiple occasions and became quite interested in what you had to say.

    Upon reading your post regarding the city, I am surprised by the amount of details concerning the city, I have disregarded over the years. Further, I appreciate your evaluation of the city; and having visited Rosemead and its surrounding cities a fair number of times, I can fully comprehend your points and observations. I worked in Pasadena during the summer and I often drove through multiple cities in a matter of minutes in and out of Rosemead. Much like the neighborhoods of Los Angeles, the difference in the quality of life between the cities of San Gabriel Valley, changed instantly. I've come to know Rosemead as the city that's often overshadowed by its neighbors that include the affluent city of San Marino and its "big brother" San Gabriel. I believe a significant factor for this, is like you've mentioned, the lack of diversity in architecture. Crossing the border, over to San Marino from Rosemead can see a significant change from one’s point of view. It is much more aesthetically pleasing with a diverse array of architecture from commercial and residential buildings, compared to those in Rosemead.

    The city of Rosemead is referred to as a suburb of Los Angeles, and your emphasis on the homogenous buildings brought my attention to the book: The Emergence of Post suburbia by Rob Kling, Spencer Olin, and Mark Poster. A part of the book mentions how the cities of Orange County, feature only a few genre of architectural designs due to the fact that it was built in a short period of time. Hence, people visiting from areas of older urban areas such as Westwood, would notice the difference in the lack of architectural diversity to theirs. As a result, it seems plausible to reason that Rosemead, much like Orange County, was built with only a limited amount of time, as well. The book goes even further to mention how buildings that are identical to one another, are relatively inexpensive than custom-made homes. Hence, San Marino comprises of expensive homes since it consists of a variety of custom made homes, while most homes in Rosemead, are cheaper due to its homogenous layout.

    I also was intrigued by your use of SimplyMaps — resulting in a high population of Asians and Hispanics. The observations that I had made previously indicated to me that even within a city, micro-communities tended to exist. You also mentioned the prevalence of mini-plazas around the city. It was apparent to me that each plaza accommodated a certain ethnicity whether it is Chinese, Vietnamese, or Hispanic. As this was your first visit to the city, did you feel the people of different races co-existed together in harmony, or were you under the impression that they were isolated in spite of their close proximity?

    Furthermore, you brought up the use of centralized decentralization, that depicts the growth of the city, and how Los Angeles is far along in the transition. I certainly agree with you on this notion. I also believe Rosemead is in the sub business area of the circle. And you are correct by implying that Chicago and Los Angeles were brought up differently with different ideas. Chicago was created with Manchester's design; but Los Angeles was built in a much different way.

    Thank you for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse me for earasing my comments few times. The reason is because I originally write my blog on my word processor and copy it to my blog. However, this time it was writing a comment. So I forgot to post it on your blog. Again I appologise for deleting my comments few times.
    First of all thank you for your great post. Before I start my blog, I usually go through our fellow class mates' blogs to see what others wrote on their blogs. Today, even though I had planned to write a blog myself, I could not pass without writing a comment and share my idea after reading your blog. It was not only because you were using the same class reading as I was planning to use, but also how you expressed your analysis got my attention as well as your great examples.



    First, since this is my first blog experience and also I am not a good writer, I was surprised how reading someone’s blog could feel like reading a fun story. It was not just fun to read, but to understand your experience very well. Also, using your personal experience and quoting what your friend’s family said was helping the readers to understand better.



    Second, using pictures and screen captures of your research helped a lot for me to keep track on what you were experiencing. Using a map where Rosemead is located was great to show others who do not know where Rosemead is. I was able to understand your screen capture of simplymap, however it was very hard to see and tell just by looking at it. It would have been better, if it was clearer for readers to see. Moreover, posting up the pictures of part of Rosemead was a great idea to make readers feel like they are actually at that location with you. Last but not least, using a picture from the reading that is supporting your experience was good as well.



    Third, one thing that I want to add is that your post on this topic might be a little off topic. I am not saying that it is completely off or it is wrong. I feel like it is focused more on certain ethnic population living a life without getting out of few miles out of Rosemead. I understand why this matches with the class reading “The Growth of The City,” because those certain ethnic groups are generating their own center. However, I personally think that the reason why your example is little off; because I think the markets in Rosemead are carrying stuffs that we cannot see in west Los Angeles markets is that people around that markets want specific stuffs. To make my point simple, just because markets are carrying certain products or greater population of certain ethnic group residing in Rosemead is not a perfect example of “The Growth of The City.”



    Even though I had some opinions of this post, I thought it was a great post. The way how you made your point using your examples and personalizing those examples interested me to write my first blog comment. Also, the way you organized and used those pictures helped me to understand your point better. Because of your second week blog, I had an opportunity to see what my problems are and learned what I should do for my blog. Thank you very much for reading my comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina, first of all thank you very much for your time reading my clumsy comment. Also, thank you for straightening out your ideas for me. Now I clearly understand your point on this post. I appologise, if I affended you in some way.
    Again thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Christina sorry for the month late reply and I aree with you that there seems to be a barrier that differentiates communities from one another. I would often see people of different backgrounds at stores and restaurants but when it comes to churches, it's usually the opposite.

    ReplyDelete