Friday, November 2, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 5


This is a response to Patrick Soulages blog post on Brentwood. http://patricksoulagesblog2.blogspot.com/2012/10/week-2-brentwood.html

This was a very interesting post for me to read, as I thought to write about Brentwood myself, but instead opted for responding to someone’s thoughts on Brentwood. My experience in Brentwood differs from what you seem to talk about, although I do agree it is a more affluent neighborhood when compared to many other cities in Los Angeles. However, from my perspective and past outings to Brentwood, I find it more of a recent graduate haven or more the Westwood for recent graduates. It seems to be the city where most Bruins gather afterwards, and it is filled with people in their twenties and early thirties, giving it a very young vibe. In my opinion, Brentwood is a cleaned up version of Westwood in a sense. This is definitely not a generalization of Brentwood, but from what I have been able to observe.

Walking around the streets and even asking friends who currently live in that neighborhood, it seems that everyone nearby is around the same age group, yet they are benefitting from the real life experiences of affording better homes and a improved quality of life. There are also many distinctions from the life led in Westwood to the one in Brentwood. For example, grocery shopping in the Ralph’s located on Bundy Drive is an entirely different experience compared to the shopping experience at the Ralph’s in Westwood. Red cups and ping pong balls are no longer on display every aisle in the supermarket or hanged next to the beer. The streets are in much better conditions as well, no longer filled with trash all over the sidewalk or overflowing dumpsters with beer cans and pizza boxes. The apartments are also nicer, the buildings are kept in better shape and they are decorated with better style.

Moreover, overall the lifestyle chosen by the residence of Brentwood seem much healthier as well. I do not recall seeing many fast-food places near the area, and during the day I see many people jogging in the residential area.  I also went to their Sunday Farmer’s Market set up near an elementary school, and the street was filled with shoppers as many couples and young families arrived to purchase their weekly groceries. Many of these people were in gym clothes either coming or going to work out. These images made me feel that perhaps people in this area were more careful with their health than in other places, as these were not details that stood out in other places I have visited.

Having said all that, I also acknowledge that certain parts of Brentwood are definitely not affordable by recent graduates, such as the Brentwood Country Club where many celebrities are sighted coming in and out of. In addition, I do agree it is a zone where people move out to, especially when we consider the concentric circle discussed in lectures. If we consider Downtown LA, or Wilshire to be the center due to the locations of various world renowned companies as you mentioned, then Brentwood would be the zone where people moved on to when they rose in the socioeconomic status.  It is interesting to observe the great difference between cities in quality of life and neighborhood “status” even when they are located in such proximity that going from one street to another can be from a poor area to a wealthy one.

Brentwood is an interesting city to explore and I would say its demographic is a mixture of young adults and young families, while there are also many celebrities located in these areas as well. I enjoyed reading about your experience in Brentwood, which has made me curious to learn more about the other aspects of it and perhaps I will also visit the Brentwood Country Mart as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment